Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Palmiers Recipe

                                                         
These crispy pastries are known as  Elephant Ears, the French call these pastries Palmiers, or palm trees. When I was a little girl, I remember going to the bakery and buying these delicate pastries on my way home from school; I have always loved them. So I want to share with you how I make these Palmiers. You could buy  the frozen puff pastry dough, but I like to make my own pastry dough. You will love these crispy treats.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup water
 1/2 cup margarine
Sugar (to be sprinkled on top to your liking)

Combine flour,salt, and 1/3 cup of margarine into a bowl until it forms a dry lumpy flour. Add water and beat until dough is smooth and elastic. Turn out on lightly floured board, roll into a square about 1/4 inch thick. Spread 1/2 cup margerine over one half of the square. Fold the other (unbuttered) half of dough over the buttered half to encase it. Pinch edges together to seal. With a rolling pin, lightly pound dough to about 12 by 16 inches. Fold 1/3 of dough over center, then fold remaining 1/3 over center. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes, or in freezer for 10 minutes (don't freeze it). Pound dough lightly again into a rectangle, then roll into a 16-inch square and fold side thirds over center again; chill. Repeat pounding, rolling, folding, and chilling three times more. After final chilling, roll  into a rectangle, sprinkle with sugar. Working from the short sides, roll up dough jelly-roll style until the two rolls (one from each side of the rectangle) meet in the center. With a sharp knife, cut roll into 1/2-inch slices. Place on  baking sheet. Bake at (450) for 12 minutes or until crisp and gold brown. Remove from pans quickly to wire racks.

Moving Mountains~If you only laugh, things don't come so hard. If you laugh at it, the trouble will not seem so real. I know, for I laugh away a mountain. Jesus told of the faith that removes mountains. May not cheerfulness in the face of difficulty and privation be an evidence of that wonder working faith?~ John T. Faris.

*******
~Have a wonderful day, wishing you a joyful heart full of happy thought and good cheer .~

4 comments:

happyone said...

They look light and tasty and I've copied down the recipe to try.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Those look really lovely and just the kind of thing my youngest would enjoy, thank for sharing the recipe. Have a wonderful week, dee x

lvroftiques said...

I LOVE palmiers! They're one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Vanna

Farah said...

oh a BIG BIG thanks for sharing the ecipes... it is my favourite one and here they are also called elephant ears. I am going to make them tomorrow and i wish they make good... thanks a lot for sharing
Hope you would like to visit my PINKIES

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

Love

Farah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...